Services > Visa & Residence
FAQ on new entry policy
2020-09-27 16:10     Source : News GD

China will allow the entry of foreign nationals holding 3 categories of valid Chinese residence permits (work, personal matters, and reunion) with no need for applying for new visas starting on 0 am., 28 September 2020, according to an announcement jointly made by the Foreign Ministry and the National Immigration Administration.

Here are the answers to some of the frequently asked questions about the latest policy.

Q1: What is the difference between the new policy and the previous policy for 36 countries in Europe and 13 countries in Asia?

A1: It has not been mentioned before that if the residence permit has expired, you can apply for a new visa without PU invitation letter.

Now the announcement stated, "If the above three categories of residence permits held by foreign nationals expired after 0 a.m., 28 March 2020, the holders may apply for relevant visas by presenting the expired residence permits and relevant materials to the Chinese embassies or consulates on the condition that the purpose of the holders’ visit to China remains unchanged."

Q2: Which applicants still need to apply for PU invitation letter to enter China?


Type 1: Foreigners who have previously held three types of residence permits (work, personal affairs, reunion), but expired before 0 am. on March 28, 2020.

Type 2: Foreigners who have NOT previously held the above three types of residence permits.

Q3: What do personal matters mean?

A3: You can check your residence permit page. If the purpose of residence says 私人事务 (which means private affair), then it's a residence permit for personal matters.

Normally, if you are in China to stay with your family or start your own business, then the residence permit is of personal matters type.

Q4: What are the materials needed for applying for the new visa?

A4: Requirements may vary depending on the location, please check with the local Chinese embassy.

Q5: What's the difference between a work visa and a work permit?

A5: When you apply for a work visa outside of China, you need to apply for a work permit notification firs t(valid for 90 days).

Then apply for a work visa (valid for 90 days) at the Chinese Embassy with the notification letter.

Enter the country with a work visa and go to the local exit and entry bureau within 30 days to exchange for a residence permit for work (usually valid for no less than 1 year).

It is not possible for one to hold a valid work visa and valid residence permit for work at the same time.

Sample of a VISA (Photo:National Immigration Administration)

Sample of a residence permit (Photo:National Immigration Administration)

Q6: Does one still need to quarantine for 14 days after entering according to the new policy?

A6: Overseas travelers need to quarantine according to local epidemic prevention and control regulations, which may vary depending on the location.

The announcement stated, "The above-mentioned personnel shall strictly abide by the Chinese regulations on epidemic prevention and control."

Source: National Immigration Administration, Yiwu Foreign Affaris Office, VisaOfChina

Editor: 谭晶